How awesomely talented are MMA fighters? They’re in the best shape ever and are in the ring fight after fight displaying crazy amounts of athleticism. Joining the ranks with other veggie athletes like Mac Danzig and Jake Shields, we’d like to introduce you to vegetarian MMA fighter Georgi Karakhanyan. Georgi recently took some time out of his busy training schedule for a quick peta2 Q&A. Check it out!
1. What prompted you to become vegetarian? Were there any bands, books, etc. that influenced your decision?
The reason why I became a vegetarian is because I do not like animals being hurt. I also believe that being a vegetarian is a healthy way to live.
2. What are some of your favorite vegetarian foods?
One of my favorite foods is veggie burgers.
3. Of all of the major animal rights issues (factory farming, dog fighting, animal testing, the fur industry, animals in entertainment, etc.) are there any issues that are particularly close to your heart?
I think that all of these issues are important, but the one that I am most passionate about is the fur industry. I am very against animals being treated as objects. They should be treated with respect and people should realize they are not on this planet for our amusement.
4. If a fan were to approach you with questions about how to get involved with animal rights, what advice would you give him or her?
I would tell them to start as soon as possible at home by being a vegetarian. It’s something that can be done right away and it gets the people around them involved because they will begin to ask about why he/she is becoming a vegetarian and that will lead to more people being aware of animal rights.
5. What do you have coming up that we can be looking forward to?
I have a fight on March 19th, 2011 that will be aired LIVE on MTV2. It is an MMA tournament.
6. What do you say to fellow fighters who say, “You can’t fight if you’re a vegetarian!”
I would tell them, “I don’t need to eat meat to kick their ass!”
I read an article this week on Top MMA Fighters Raving About Vegetarianism. We all know that a plant-based diet is the healthiest diet out there. Vegans reduce their risk of many of the nation’s top killers, including heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes. So take after our pal Georgi and embrace that vegetarian lifestyle!